Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies

The always-insightful George "Geo" Tannenbaum at Ad Aged is constructing a list titled "99 lies. A work in progress." The count was up to 43 as of a moment ago, but he's continuing to add if you want to give a shot at mocking ad agency/creative world prevarication.

His first five are:
  1. I will never lie to you.
  2. We're all in this together.
  3. The only thing that matters is the work.
  4. I'm a straight shooter.
  5. I like it.
For what it's worth, my suggestions were:
  • We're interested in trying something different.
  • I'm not worried about face time.
  • We're focused on the results, not the process.
  • It's not my call.
  • That's my final offer.

2 comments:

  1. Mine would be: "I like to take a hands off approach" and "This isn't a dictatorship - everyone's input matters."

    Your first one there is a real zinger. I almost dread getting asked to "do something different" because I know that nine times out of ten, it will be changed back to something just like what they already have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ones, Valerie. Any time someone defines something by what it isn't, you've got a 50% or better shot that it's *exactly* what it is. Kind of like...politicians...and professional athletes.

    With regard to "something different," it always amazes me that people are so reluctant to experiment. It's particularly unfortunate when you consider that experimenting in an electronic medium (as opposed to a direct-mail postcard, for example) costs almost nothing.

    ReplyDelete