Monday, June 8, 2009

Babies, don't let your mommies grow up to be bloggers

I subscribe to the free daily AdAge email blast, and I'll usually click through on the most interesting link in any given issue. Today's video, "Inside the Mommy Blogger Business," caught my eye based on an offline conversation I've been having with Chronic Fatigue in response to my "Make a six-figure income as a freelance writer" post last week.

The video is only about 10 minutes long, and offers some interesting insights on the growing number of women who've successfully monetized their blogging. Primarily, it sounds like the ones who have a large following then get hooked up with a big brand name can probably make a living at it, or at least get a bunch of free crap. Nonetheless, if 8 million women (by AdAge's estimate) currently publish blogs, forgive me for being a bit skeptical that there's a measurable percentage of Mommy Millionaires, or that your odds aren't better to win the lottery than they are to be "discovered" by Wal-Mart.

8 comments:

  1. Courtesy of Chronic Fatigue, a link to a slightly more realistic NY Times article about blogs falling in a forest and no one hearing:
    http://www.tinyurl.com/ljbbp5

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started reading Dooce--probably the biggest Mommy Blogger of them all--a little while ago, but stopped. When each post gets 1,000+ comments, it leaves the Blogosphere and becomes something else altogether. It lost the conversational feel, and I wasn't interested anymore.

    Mind, the woman makes TONS--and she blogs beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, took a visit to Dooce and was simply not prepared for a discussion of mucous plugs and vasectomies at this hour in the morning. That's the kind of thing that makes me think that guy talk in the locker room pales in breadth and depth (and filth) compared to what women are capable of blithely chatting about over tea and crumpets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aarghh!!! I haven't got to that chapter in the preggie book yet! That's just... just...

    Plus the woman is 15 weeks ahead of me and I'm WAY bigger. Pfft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, seems like I'm way late in this convo. Regardless, interesting post and I also saw that douche talking about six figure salaries being a freelance copywriter. Not to be 100% skeptical, but I'd love to see his income statement and what he works on just to see if I can't give it a shot, because it has that disgusting pyramid scheme residue to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yah, Joker, it smacks of the Robert Kiyosaki method: He makes all of his money on his original book and its seminar/CDs/etc. derivatives, but his approach, particularly the infomercials, leads you to believe that he made all his money buying and renting properties.

    If you ask him directly (which is what I did when I interviewed him a couple of years ago), he'll even admit that he didn't make his fortune in real estate. But in the meantime, there are a lot of naive folks out there who bought multiple houses on imaginary equity based on his advice. He didn't blow us up the bomb, but he surely handed some people a grenade with the pin pulled.

    That's one of the reasons I really like Peter Bowerman's "Well-Fed Writer." His approach to getting business is honest and business oriented. And in the follow-up "Well-Fed Self Publisher," he's very clear that his advice is based on his experiences of his first book...and that your mileage may vary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am wondering why anyone would rely on opinions of bloggers who are being paid to write positive reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PhotoHand--thanks for dropping in. That's a fantastic question, and I'd love to know what proof of ROI the sponsors are getting. I'm personally a pretty finicky and suspicious shopper!

    ReplyDelete